Thursday, December 23, 2010

Artist: Layla Amber Handmade Creations


This next artist, Layla Amber is from the UK and has recently graduated from Norwich University College of the Arts with a BA in Graphic Design.



She loves to craft in many ways: jewellery making, sewing, drawing, painting, making things from driftwood and she even does book binding! Layla says, "I am inspired by beautiful everyday objects, as well as the charming seaside town of Southwold where I call home. I have a fascination for buttons which often feature in my work."




 Layla says, "My love for buttons started when my Mum showed me her tin of beloved vintage buttons that she had been collecting over the years. I really wanted to start my own collection and I now have my very own tin of buttons, some of which I love too much to part with! I like to use a mix of new and vintage buttons in my jewellery, this way two designs are never the same, making them truly unique."





The theme of birds that you see in her work was inspired by her parents, says Layla, "who have a great knowledge of birds and nature. They were shocked that I could hardly name any of the everyday birds that you see, so my Dad gave me a bird book as a gift. This sparked an interest in these cute little animals, and from there I started to draw. I then decided to turn my illustrations into this jewellery range!"


Personally, I love the colors in her bird jewelry and hair accessories, as it is bright and colorful, as these birds are naturally.  Thanks so much Layla, for sharing your beautiful collection and comments!  If you come to New York to do any big craft fairs, I would love to see this stuff there and more of it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment