Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Artist: Galit Barak




Meet Galit Barak, an amazing jewelry designer who crochets with wire in her hometown of Karkur, Israel, near Tel Aviv.  She studies jewelry design and metalsmithing in Shenkar College for Engineering and Design in Israel and is really getting noticed for her work.  Her designs have made it to the front page of etsy.com and she's made over 1500 sales on etsy alone, aside from selling in person in Israel. 

I asked her if she sells her work in alot of craft fairs, markets, etc and she said:  "I have featured my work in art and craft fairs, but I don't usually do that. My favorite is an annual fair in my hometown.  For three days artists open their homes and studios and any interested people walk through the town to see the work and do holiday shopping."  Sounds great, wish your annual fair wasn't so far away!  It would be so great to see all of Galit's work up close!


Galit says that she used to crochet scarves and hats in high school and always made jewelry, and one day tried to combined them both.  Good idea!  It's working well!
She says, "I mostly create as I am inspired by the stones I use, figuring what will suite the stone best - gold or silver, to be set in a ring or necklace and so on. Some of my best designs are inspired by a unique stone's shape."



As I'm often motivated by the music I listen to when I'm working on my own jewelry, I asked Galit about this topic..."I mostly create while listening to the radio, but every now and then I listen to my favorite albums such as Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, The Doors and some Israeli music. Most of the time I crochet in my living room listening to my musician boyfriend!"  Nice, that works.  Live music to crochet to!




Below is a photo from one of the arts and crafts shows that she participated in.  Thanks so much Galit, for this great opportunity to talk to you and add you to my blog!  What a wonderful addition!  Amazing work!

Also here are some ways that you can follow Galit and her unique designs:
Her blog:  galitbarak.blogspot.com
Twitter:  twitter.com/galitbarak
Facebook:   facebook.com/GalitBarakJewelry
And you can join her newsletter @: http://madmimi.com/signups/join/22792





No comments:

Post a Comment